Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Justification of Target Audience and Final Idea



After doing a lot of research, from Questionnaires and Interviews, my target audience came to being 18 - 50 year old males and females. I decided that I wanted to open my ideas to males, because I think that musicals should interest them as well as females. After doing my focus group and explaining my three ideas and both the females and males choosing their favourite, I feel that I can still say that males are definitely in my target audience. The fact that they liked one of my ideas enough to say that they would be interested in watching it and added their own ideas to it, some of which I took on and put into their favourite idea, made me really happy.

I think that having a broad target audience is much better than having a smaller age group and one gender, this is because it allowed me to get more of a view on what different ages liked and if it was similar to other ages, it turns out they would all like to see the same kind of thing.

I came to my target audience, after giving out a questionnaire to 25 males and 25 females. By giving out equal amounts to various ages allowed me to get a less biased target audience at the end of it. After analysing my responses from the questionnaires I found out that I did not want to include people under the age of 18, as I thought that the ideas I had come up with were not ‘family’ or young aged children suitable. It was here that I decided, that from after my questionnaire failed to get males interested in musicals, I would try in my interview to get them interested.

To get more information on what my target audience thought of musicals, I did an interview. For this I interviewed 7 males and 7 females, this helped me develop my ideas more thoroughly ad I got more of an idea of their opinions. The information I got from my interviews was definitely more in depth I found out in more detail what they thought would be unique in musical and what would make them interested in watching it, I included questions that I thought would give me information on what they liked and disliked and then see what they thought of my ideas in a sneaky way “Would you be intrigued to watch a musical which moves away from the ‘stereotypical’ style?”

After the interviews, there was one more stage I needed from my target audience which would help me develop and decide on the idea that I was going to pick. I got 3 males and 3 females, all ranged between the ages of 18 and 50. By doing a focus group I was allowed to get a discussion started about my ideas and ask them questions as a group to see what they thought of my ideas and how I could improve them. I enjoyed this as I really got to see them all thinking of what I could do to make people their ages more interested to watch them, I liked seeing them all get very excited and into idea 2.


From all the research that I did to find my target audience, and after doing the focus group I finally found the idea that I will be doing for my short film. This was idea 2, where a girl is getting bullied by a group of girls and she goes home and tries to commit suicide, but it is left on a cliffhanger and you don’t know if she gets saved or not. I am glad my focus group found this idea most interesting, they did help me think of a better ending also, but I think that this idea is going to be a challenge, but as long as I do it right, I will fit all the information in and let the audience get into it and enjoy watching it, all within 10 minutes.

This idea, I was planning on using two songs. One at the beginning with the group of popular girls where they are bullying here, could be the opening scene. And then another when the girl is writing her suicide note. I think including two songs is enough, because I need to make sure I get the story line and acting included, so that it is not all song. I also hope to be able to build tension during the last song, so I need to make sure that I have more time during the ending than at the beginning.

I am looking forward to writing the script, writing and composing the songs, planning the scenes, finally filming it and then editing it. I think it is going to be a success, as long as I do it correctly.

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent. You have fully justified your reasons for choosing the target audience that you have as well why you have chosen the idea that you have. Well done!

    ReplyDelete